There are so many ways to build your yoga practice. Some of us choose to set the foundation of our practice purely on the asana practice, and as I have stated, this was the door to my practice. This moving meditation is the central point to their yogic journey. For others their path move from and through meditation in all it permutations and forms. Whatever your initial push into the world of yoga, once we begin to dive deeper, there are so many paths to take.
As we have explored one by one, the Chakras, are one way that some choose to move through the journey of settling the mind, and cleansing the body. In Sanskrit Chakra is a Wheel or Disc, and is identified as a place of concentrated energy in the body. According to the Yoga tradition and practice, there are seven identified energy centers in the body, each corresponding with a particular region in the body, and having particular properties and connections.
Through the use of all of our yoga practices, asana practice, meditation, pranayama (breath work), we slowly cleanse these energy centers, moving purified energy up, until it has cleansed the mind. In our Chakra workshop this weekend, students will take a look at which Chakras they may be out of balance in, and some strategies to work on those particular areas. It’s always nice to find some balance in our lives.
A quick primer on the Chakras: Come out on Sunday (8/13 from 3:30 – 5:30pm) to learn more, and to explore your own energy centers.
- Muladhara: Root Chakra: base of the spine. Color: Red. Element: Earth. Grounding.
- Svadhisthana: : Pelvic area. Color Orange. Element: Water. Fluid, Surrender.
- Manipura: Filled with Jewels: Naval area. Color Yellow: Element: Fire. Heat, working together.
- Anahata: Heart Chakra: Heart center: Color: Green. Element: Air. Love, Expression.
- Visuddha: Throat Chakra: Throat Center. Color Purple. Element Air. Speaking and Hearing the Truth.
- Ajna: Third Eye Chakra: MIddle Forehead. Color: Crystalline. Element: Space. Enhanced Knowledge. The Witness.
- Sahasrara: : Crown of the Head. Color: Beyond Color. All knowing. One thousand-spoked.
Come join us to learn more! Or if you are not able, check out previous blog posts where we have explored each chakra one by one. 🙂