There are so many aspects of yoga that embody celebration. This month, we have looked at ways in which we can celebrate ourselves, our practice and our community. We have so many options to choose from in times of need and in times of celebration.
One of the simplest options is to celebrate is through our work with the breath. You may be noticing a theme here:) we love and celebrate the ability to come back to the breath. It is one of the most stable factors that we can come back to!
Let’s celebrate with one of our FAVORITES: the breath of Joy!
- Start in a Mountain Pose with soft knees.
- Inhale, allow the arms to rise out front at heart level, using 1/3 of the inhale.
- For the next 1/3 of the inhale allow the arms to open out to a T.
- For the final 1/3 of the breath the arms flow overhead.
- The exhale is full, with a sigh of it feels right, and a forward fold!
When getting started with Breath of Joy, take 3-4 rounds at first. Please remember that you do not have to take a full forward fold. It can be as far as seems right. (If you have blood pressure issues the full fold is not recommended).
As you get used to this celebratory breath you may wish to take more. Breath of joy is a fantastic energizer, it helps to invigorate the body, and is a space to celebrate our practice together!
Perhaps this next week we will celebrate with breath together:)