The Ultimate Wisdom: The the Chakra: SahasraraSeptember 22, 2016
Koshas Intro and The Physical BodyOctober 6, 2016
There are always things in our lives, which, on the surface look easy. Those tasks that we make look effortless, and when others remark on this ease, it provokes thought. What about my efforts, habits, or intentions have me fooling people 🙂 sometimes these compliments are the hardest to receive and take in, when we feel like people aren’t recognizing the work that we pour into the appearance of fluidity and ease.
Locust, of Shalabhasana is one such yoga posture. When we learn the proper technique for the pose and train the muscles for the effort, locust can be appear to be a place of grace and ease. When we unpack shalabhasana there are so many beautiful pieces working together to accomplish the look of ease. An additional challenge of this posture is to relax through each area the body where effort is not invited!
To come into locust/shalabhasana:
- Come down onto your belly, arms by your side, rest on either side of the face.
- Draw the shoulder blades down the back and towards one another.
- Keeping the neck long, bring the gaze to the floor, engage the back muscles, and inhale allow the chest to float off the floor, only so high as feels good.
- Keep the shoulder blades reaching towards the glutes.
- If desired, zip up the thighs and float the legs off the floor. This brings in the glutes, and a majority of the back body.
- The gaze can remain towards the floor or move towards the wall in front of you, keeping care to pay attention to the feel of the back side of the neck.
- Breath in nice and full, perhaps so much that you rock on the belly with the inhale and the exhale.
- Hang out for a few breaths and release back to the floor, resting on the other side of the face.
- Repeat if it feels right!
- Strengthens back body.
- Teaches engagement and release
- Massages internal organs
- Improves digestion
- Allows us to pick the elements of the posture the fit the moment!
Take a deep breath in this strength and release space today!